We recognise that responding to issues of adult protection regarding adults at risk can be complex. The Care Act 2014 requires safeguarding measures to stop abuse, and prevent harm and neglect to adults with care and support needs.
Harm levels have now been introduced with information and guidance for service providers in Stockport. These will help to support decision making that will result in the most appropriate pathway to address adult protection concerns.
The aims of the harm levels guidance is to:
- create a consistent approach to the response and investigation of adult protection concerns across Stockport
- determine harm levels where an internal investigation, by a provider service, is appropriate as opposed to multi-agency response
- create a balanced response to adult protection concerns in Stockport. This will make sure that the views of adults at risk and/or their representative, remains central to the process and in line with making safeguarding personal
The harm levels guidance draws on the thresholds (ADASS North East) and National Patient Safety Guidance (NHS England) and outlines 5 levels of harm and the appropriate response to each level. The guidance should be used in conjunction with our Safeguarding Adults Policy and Procedures (PDF 3Mb)
Adult abuse or neglect
Do not ignore it.
- call 999 in an emergency
- Telephone: 0161 217 6029
- Minicom: 0161 217 6024
- Out of hours: 0161 718 2118
Harm Levels Guidance for Provider Services: Single Agency or Multi-agency response
- Harm levels guidance for provider services (PDF 264Kb)
- Guidance for completing the harm levels monthly log (PDF 241Kb)
- Harm levels monthly log for levels 1 and 2 (Word 198Kb)
- Guidance on how to complete the quarterly harm levels survey (PDF 129Kb)
Internal agency investigations