Multi Agency Strategy and Guidance for Self-Neglect and Hoarding
The multi–agency self neglect strategy aims to be part of the growing work around early intervention and preventative agendas. As such it directs collaborative multi-agency discussions of self-neglect and/or hoarding cases to be addressed at the early stages. To encourage a more preventative approach to cases of self-neglect and/or hoarding view the self neglect strategy for more details.
Published alongside the strategy is a Practitioners Guide. This guide is intended as a toolkit to support practitioners from a range of agencies with management of cases where an adult is deemed to be at risk due to self-neglecting and/or hoarding behaviours.
The Practitioners Guide includes:
- characteristics of self neglect
- self neglect and hoarding two page guide
- self neglect legal literacy
- the Clutter Image Rating Scale (CIRT)
- guidance for practitioners
- guidance questions which could be used during an assessment
- Multi Agency Strategy and Guidance for Self-Neglect and Hoarding (PDF 803Kb)
- Self Neglect Leaflet (PDF 1.7Mb)
The 7 minute briefing paper is a resource that managers can share with their staff. Clearly the briefing will not have all the answers, but it is hoped the paper will act as a catalyst to help front line staff and their managers to reflect on practice ans systems. Good practice would be to present this briefing paper at staff meetings to discuss on a regular basis.